It’s that time of year again when we voluntarily expose ourselves to the self-inflicted torture that is Christmas shopping. Less than a month before the big holiday most of us turn into reckless warriors, the high streets our battle fields, where we fight the equally merciless and desperate fight for buying presents. This year will be different. This time around we will manage to complete our gift shopping in time. We will not have to go out on Christmas day to buy just about ANYTHING to please our greedy relatives and our guilty conscience. At least this is what we tell ourselves the moment we shove our elbows into that one person blocking our way to the bargain bin.
I have to admit, I am the worst when it comes to Christmas gift shopping. The anxiety inducing thoughts of the Christmas highstreet battle ground have kept me from going out and getting presents many times. Thank goodness for online shopping, invention of the last-minute gods, and friends and family who kindly agreed to ‘just give love’ those years. However, this year I vowed to be better at gift shopping and giving. Still not ready to face the crowds, my new strategy is online-shopping with a plan!
Doing my gift-research, I have compiled for you art-lovers out there an art-themed gift guide. Wether it is for your hip and artsy friends or to secretly impose your love of art onto your art-ignorant relatives, there is something for everyone (and every wallet-size) in this list.
Andy Warhol and Pop Art inspired gifts:
1. Heattech Fleece Polo Neck, Uniqlo, £7.90 for her and £12.90 for him
2. Andy Warhol Journals – Set of 3, via the Tate Shop, £12
3. Interview Magazine Subscription (12 months), £72
4. Rimmel London Pop Art Nail Polish, via Superdrug, £3.99
5. Central Saint Martins Cut-out Bracelets and Earings, Topshop, £8
6. Ribbed Funnel Neck Top, Topshop, £15
William Morris inspired gifts:
1. Needle amd Thread Floral Embelished Dress, through Harrods, £185
2. William Morris Paperblanks Planner, via WHSmith, £11.99
3. Tickets to Anarchy and Beauty: William Morris and his Legacy at the National Portrait Gallery, £14
4. Konplott Ich-und-Du Flower Necklace, £155.50
5. H&M Lace Bra and Briefs, £7.99 and £5.99
1. H&M Sleeveless Dress, £29.99
2. American Apparel Beanie, via asos, £13.90
3. Tatty Devine Russian Floral Statement Necklace, £150
4. “Art & Agenda: Political Art and Activism” Coffe table book, £40
5. Paint Your Own Baboushka Kit, via asos, £9